Archive for the 'California Rivers- Flows, News, and Events' Category
We’re no strangers—landslides, rockslides, sliding fortunes in the global economy, apocalyptic fires, ripped boats, broken oars, oil leaks, soggy bread and sunburns… bring it on, ’cause we can deal. But a government shut-down? Color us powerless. And so, it is with sadness that we have had to cancel our sold-out first weekend on Goodwin Canyon. *tear*
The good news? 1200 CFS and Double Runs. And BBQ.
If those boys up on the hill will just get their acts together and do their job (Who me? Editorialize? Don’t even get me started!) next weekend on Goodwin will be a go! And what a go it will be because we’ve been told to expect awesome flows of around 1200 CFS! And, we got permission from our Fearless Leader to do the double runs and BBQ of Goodwin Canyon Days that we had originally planned for opening weekend.
October 26-27 Goodwin Canyon Days are on! (Fingers Crossed)
So if you can handle a little uncertainty and need another reason to root for a re-open of our fair government (as if), give us a call and jump on this opportunity. Because come November, regardless of what’s going on in Washington D.C, the all too short season on Goodwin will be over.
Ah October, you breezy beauty. We bid a fond farewell to the Middle Fork (the Tuolumne and Cherry Creek are distant memories at this point) last weekend, but fear not, the rafting season isn’t quite over yet.
Throughout October we’ll be running weekend trips on the South Fork American, so head on up for a fun-filled day with the fam! Raftable water releases are limited to Saturdays and Sundays only for the fall and winter.
If you’re looking for something rather more challenging–and lot more unusual–join us for some adventure on Goodwin Canyon Oct 19-27. Spots are filling up fast and all trips will probably sell out, so get a move on it and call us prontissimo!
It’s been yet another epic season on the mighty Middle Fork American, but the fat lady, so to speak, is about to give her final encore, and that, my friends, is our cue to pack up and head back to HQ for the year. This is your last chance to tremble and giggle as you scout Tunnel Chute rapid and then heed the “get down” command as you hurtle toward the chute……it’s your last chance to watch portage at Ruck-a-Chucky…your last chance for a leisurely lunch prepared riverside by your intrepid river guides…. and your last chance to enjoy the lazy calm stretch in between class III and IV rapids. Our 2013 season on the Middle Fork wraps this weekend, and then it’s O-V-E-R until next year!
Check out our Middle Fork Rafting Video if you (or your buddies) need more convincing.
The Good Folks at the Tuolumne River Trust have re-vamped their annual celebration of All Things Tuolumne in light of the Rim Fire. Yes, there will be the usual cocktails, tasty snackies, and hob-nobbing. But this year the focus will be on learning more about what we can expect in the aftermath of the fire–what the damage is, and how we can help. Guest speakers include Firefighters and Forest Service folks.
Although the bulk of the work restoring the river canyon will fall to Mother Nature, there are things we human beings can do as well. Roads will need to be re-built, plants can be re-seeded and planted. Erosion control will help protect the river, wildlife, and access for things like fishing, hiking, and of course rafting. All these efforts will take lots of time, effort, and boatloads of money. If you’re in a position to help, get your ticket to the Call of the River Cocktails, Awards, and Rim Fire Rally September 26th at the Waterfront Hotel in Jack London Square. You can get more information and tickets directly from the Tuolumne River Trust.
Not into cocktails or have plans on the 26th but still want to help? Consider volunteering. To learn more about opportunities to give some elbow grease to the effort contact: Rebecca at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at (415) 882-7252 ex 301.
(Top: Smoke billows in front of the AO Rafting Tuolumne River warehouse and meet spot the first week of the fire–pic taken by AO guides Matt and Lynsey Bottom: Image of flames taken by AO owner Gregg A)
Summer Isn’t Over On The American River!
With summer drawing to a close, most people’s minds begin to stray away from things like rafting and fun out on the river. The reality of it is – it’s California. We are lucky enough to have a bit of an extended summer here in these parts. Why not enjoy it?
Just because the calendar says summer is over, doesn’t mean the great weather and rafting trips are over too. It’s still hot out, and the river is still ready for you to have some fun!
This weekend is actually perfect for a fun filled day out on the river.
4 Reasons To Go Rafting This Weekend
4) Awesome Discounts
All-Outdoors always offers a great value on whitewater adventures, but this weekend has some really stellar deals lined up. All you have to do is cash in on them. You can see them all for yourself on our rapid deals page.
3) Summer Weather
The forecast for this weekend is shaping up to be prime river time. It looks like we will be in the 90′s all weekend.
It’s still warm out, so come and escape the heat with us!
2) American River Music Festival
Be a part of the amazing music festival that takes place here in Lotus once every year. There will be some awesome concerts going on at the park and free live music at some of our local hotspots.
I can’t think of a more perfect way to end the day after an awesome river adventure than to relax by the water, enjoy some amazing live music, and chow down on some of the local fare. You can check out the full schedule HERE.
I don’t know about you guys, but I got super excited to see Sean Hayes is coming our way.
1) It’s Rafting
Come on guys, the number one reason to go rafting is pretty obvious. Rafting is the thrill and excitement of a lifetime, every time. Our guides still get excited to go out on the river, and they do it every day.
If you haven’t been before, now is the time to step outside of your comfort zone and try it. If you’ve been before, you really need no convincing. So let’s all get out on the river this weekend, cool off, and have some fun!
Give us a call and book your trip today: (925) 932-8993
Calling all fan’s of Mr. Toad! Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride that is. And I’m not talking about the kid’s book…..no no, my friends, I’m talking about one of Goodwin Canyon’s longest and most satisfying class IV rapids. Toot toot!
Yes, Goodwin Canyon is coming up this October, a glorious class IV rafting challenge on the autumnal horizon. Long after the Tuolumne and Cherry Creek have been put to bed for the year, Goodwin Canyon thumbs its nose at having a boring fall. And so can you.
October 19-27 2013 babies! Be there or just do class III on the South Fork and throw a tantrum when you see the pictures on Facebook later…….
Our Tunnel Chute Showdown Sale ends today! Book by Labor Day (that’s today, folks) and save 20% on any Middle Fork American Rafting trip. A one day trip–or heck, a multi-day mini vacation for you and that special someone or the whole dang family–literally every Middle Fork trip from now until the end of September qualifies. The only hitch is you gotta act soon because the sale ends today and our office closes at 2pm in honor of the holiday.
Not only are we running trips on the South and Middle Forks of the American River, but we are also running guided rafting trips on the Goodwin Canyon run of the lower Stanislaus River in late October. This post and the map have been updated to reflect this.
Wondering how the American Fire near Foresthill and the Rim Fire near Yosemite National Park is affecting river rafting trips in California?
The short answer is that we are thankfully still in full swing on the South Fork of the American River (until the end of October), the Middle Fork of the American River (through the end of September), and on the Intermediate-Advanced Goodwin Canyon run in late October.
To help illustrate, we’ve adapted this satellite photo of the Rim Fire (adapted from this NASA satellite photo taken on Sunday August 25th) to clarify the difference between the Tuolumne and American River Watersheds, and what this means for planning your next vacation day on the river with us:
Yes, there is plenty of very bad news in here; but there’s also some very good news: we’re far from done playing on the river.
The 2013 California Rafting Season Continues!
The American River Canyons: Open Through October
Both the South and Middle Forks of the American River, which remain unthreatened by either of these fires, will remain open through the end of their regularly scheduled seasons. Our guides and reservation staff are still working (and playing) on the river until the end of the California rafting season, which continues on throughout the month of October. (Yes, that’s right; we’ll say it again: we run trip all the way through October!)
In fact, this week we launched a new Facebook Sweepstakes for a chance to win a whitewater rafting trip for two people on one of these rivers! We will pick a new winner every week; all you have to do is enter once, and you are automatically registered for a chance to win every single week until the sweepstakes ends at the end of September. All you have to do is Like our Facebook page and submit your email address so we can notify you of the results. So whether you’re thinking about a trip this fall, or want to wait until next Summer, you might want to sign up now.
Goodwin Canyon: October 19th – 27th, 2013 (Intermediate – Advanced)
Looking for a bit more whitewater excitement closer to the San Francisco Bay Area? This is one of our guests’ favorite day trips, due to the short drive and high adventure waiting for those who choose to take advantage of the late Fall water releases from the upstream dam. This canyon is unlike any other we explore, and it doesn’t run very often. If you haven’t checked it off your California River Top Ten list yet, late October will be your only chance to get it done. Take a look at our Goodwin Canyon photos and river description page to see if you and your friends are up for it, or call 1-800-247-2387 to talk it out with one of our river specialists.
Tuolumne River & Cherry Creek: Closed Due to Rim Fire
Unfortunately, the Tuolumne River and Cherry Creek canyons are currently closed to public access, and we have cancelled the remainder of our scheduled trips there for the season. Gregg Armstrong recently detailed what we know about the impact to these canyons, and in a follow up post he describes All-Outdoors’ first-hand account of evacuating from the area last week.
As soon as we are allowed to enter the canyon, we hope to report back here with our observations on the after effects of the fire. While we don’t yet know the extent of the damage, we are very hopeful of the long term recovery of the watershed, its ecosystem and our own future return to a place we have long considered our home.
If you are currently booked on the Tuolumne or Cherry Creek, or reservations staff has either already contacted you, or will be notifying you soon regarding your trip. You can also contact us if you have any questions.
Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):
This is what AO Rafting experienced as the Rim Fire began a week ago.
On Saturday, August 17, a small fire started in the Clavey River drainage, a few miles north of the starting point for All-Outdoors’ Tuolumne Class IV trips and the ending point for Cherry Creek Class V trips.
On Sunday, August 18, Scott Armstrong, myself, and 10 outfitters from around the country entered the canyon. We were planning a 3-Day Tuolumne River trip beginning on Monday, August 19.
As we passed the Rim of the World vista point on Hwy 120 that afternoon (where the fire got its name) we noticed a small amount of white smoke rising from the Clavey River area. The fire did not look very threatening (see photo from my phone below right). Three planes were flying in circles dumping retardant on the smoky areas and it seemed to all of us that this fire would soon be under control.
We spent the night at the Yosemite Riverview Inn near the rim of the canyon. The roads into the Tuolumne were closed on Monday so that fire crews could go in and out without delay. On Monday morning the fire reached the north bank of the river and unexpectedly jumped to the south side. This is when things began to heat up. There’s much more fuel (trees) on the south side, and by mid day the sky became dark and orange from the smoke and fire and ash was falling on us and the surrounding area (see photo from my phone at top left).
The Inn we were staying in was on the south rim. It did not take long to realize we were in the fire’s path. We immediately began to evacuate. After we were packed and out, Scott headed to our warehouse at Casa Loma, 4 miles west on Hwy 120 with one of the outfitters from North Carolina to remove gear and vehicles, and water down buildings before the fire arrived. One of our competitors has their headquarters at the same location and we wanted to help him evacuate as well.
I headed to Sierra Mac’s warehouse (another competitor) a mile west on Hwy 120 with 9 of the other outfitters to help him evacuate as well. This location was in the immediate path of the fire and it was moving so quickly that we only had minutes to get out.
By the time Scott got to our warehouse, the fire had reached Hwy 120 and jumped the road. We would be separated by the fire for the next two days. A few minutes after we got to the Sierra Mac warehouse, a Cal Fire Firefighter drove up and told us we had 5 only minutes to pack whatever we want and get out of there.
Scott was able to get everything out of our warehouse and we were able to get the most valuable things out of Sierra Mac’s warehouse. I, and the folks I was with, drove out of the “closed” area to the Cal Fire blockade on Hwy 120 and watched the blaze continue up the canyon toward Yosemite. The fire was so hot that it created its own rain clouds that produced ash-filled rain drops and loud thunder above us.
Scott left our warehouse to move gear and vehicles further away from the fire that had changed direction and was concentrating most of its force toward us. Later that evening Scott and the outfitter from North Carolina returned to our warehouse at Casa Loma to find that the winds had changed the fire was starting back his direction again. They spent several hours watering down buildings and finally at 1:00 am had to evacuate again as the fire neared the area. Fortunately it never made it the buildings. We hope it never does.
For the next two days we helplessly watched the fire grow as it consumed pristine forest and created an atomic bomb like cloud of smoke that reached 40,000 feet. By the time we left on Wednesday afternoon, the small fire we saw on Sunday from the Rim of the World had grown into a massive blaze that was consuming trees as if they were matches and made the world we were in seem like a war zone.